English is the most widely spoken language in the world. Anyone who speaks English can find their way around almost any country and have interesting conversations with people from other cultures. But learning vocabulary regularly is not enough. You should also work on your pronunciation.
What you need:
- Learning CD
- English audio books
- English regulars' table
- Language tandem
Practice Your Pronunciation - Ideas for Learning English
- First of all, you should use the English language listen as often as possible, because this way the speech melody and special features are particularly well memorized during pronunciation. So: Use radio, television and podcast programs to absorb as many English "language patterns" as possible.
- Learn the correct pronunciation while practicing vocabulary. Then you will hardly have any problems with the following special features.
- Practicing the correct pronunciation is very difficult on your own. However, you can still practice your first steps from the comfort of your own home. Many publishers offer learning CDs. A language program is often also integrated there. You speak words and sentences into a microphone on your computer and the software corrects and improves you.
- English audiobooks can also improve your pronunciation. When you're in the car or doing housework, just listen to great English stories on the side. In many libraries you can borrow them very cheaply for a small annual fee.
- It's too boring for you, all alone English to learn? But is a course too expensive for you? English get-togethers take place regularly in almost every city. There you will meet native speakers and other people willing to learn. Here you can improve your pronunciation in a cozy atmosphere and you are sure to learn exciting things about foreigners Culture.
- A Language tandem is arguably the best way to improve your English pronunciation. Find native English speakers who German want to learn. There is sure to be someone near you. For example, if you meet once a week, speak German for half an hour and English for the next half hour. This will naturally improve your pronunciation and maybe even make new friends.
The more you deal with a language, the faster you internalize it. …
English - the correct pronunciation
- Spelling: When pronouncing the English letter "Z", a distinction must be made between British (here they speak "Sed") and American ("Sie") English. A "Z" is always pronounced as if it were a soft "S".
- Simply speak the English "W" like a German "U" - the pronunciation becomes soft in English. You can achieve the same thing if you mentally replace the letter "V" with a "W": It means "Uenn uill Uerena wisit Weniss?" - "When will Verena visit Venice?"
- If there is an "S" at the beginning of a word, it is pronounced sharply, in the middle or at the end of the word it is pronounced softly ("ßan" - "Sun"; but: "ßans" - Suns ").
- Most people who learn English are scared of the English "Tie-Aitsch" (th), which borders on awe. Correct pronunciation is not difficult at all: bring the tip of your tongue to the inside of the upper front teeth. With a little practice, it turns into a passable "th". And you need that too, because there is only one specific article in English. "Der, die, das" simply means "the" in English. There is one special feature to watch out for: If after the "the" there is a word with a vowel at the beginning, it is not pronounced like "the" as usual. Instead, a "thie" is spoken, with a voiced "i" at the end.
Of course it is important that you speak English grammar master and learn vocabulary regularly to suit your vocabulary to expand. But so that you can also be understood by native speakers, you should also work on your pronunciation.
Additional author: Sabrina Jevsovar
How helpful do you find this article?