Where do upsets and fears come from during pregnancy?
You have to make a clear distinction between a depressive mood, which can occur during pregnancy due to hormonal changes, and depression.
Mood swings are part of this because the pregnancy hormones often cause emotions to go on a roller coaster. One day you are overjoyed and could hug the whole world, the next day you feel anxious and depressed. As long as the positive attitude prevails, this feeling is completely normal.
You also have to be aware that your entire life situation is changing!
A depressive mood during pregnancy can have many causes. Those particularly affected are:
- Expectant mothers who have already had or are having miscarriages or complications during a previous or current pregnancy.
- Women who already suffer from depression or other mental illnesses.
- Problems in the relationship that existed before the pregnancy can intensify.
- Anyone who has financial worries, receives little to no support from family or is alone.
The diagnosis of depression is becoming more and more common in Germany. That means …
Sometimes it is not so easy to recognize that you may need help. However, a few signs indicate that something is wrong and something should be changed.
How do I know if I am affected?
Joylessness and loss of interest: Someone who enjoyed maintaining social contacts and pursuing certain hobbies and is now becoming more and more withdrawn and no longer interested in things that they enjoyed.
Persistent depression: Women who have wanted the pregnancy for a long time and strongly often have problems here. because the feelings of guilt that you can't be happy now create a vicious circle Movement.
Feelings of guilt and self-doubt: You pay attention to the environment that expects the expectant mother to burst with happiness. This is also conveyed to you in advertising and on social media. Then you feel even worse, because everything is actually great. Unfortunately, you don't feel this and you doubt that you can meet the demands and be a good mother.
sleep disorders: These are part of pregnancy, especially in the last trimester when you no longer know how to lie with your baby bump. However, if you can't sleep because you can't stop the carousel of thoughts, you should confide in someone.
- Pregnant women are common built close to the waterHowever, if you often have to cry out of deep despair or are constantly irritable, these are warning signs.
Symptoms that may indicate an anxiety disorder:
- If the Fear disrupt your entire daily routine and your thoughts, Care for, which cannot be shaken off and a Thought carousell set in motion.
Restlessness, irritability and nervousness, apparently for no reason, plus an oppressive feeling in the chest, tense and cramped muscles
- Problems relaxing and not finding peace at night because you Always have to check whether the baby is okay.
Panic attacks and extreme anxietyt that cannot be rationally explained.
What can you do if you are depressed?
The most important thing is to recognize that something is wrong and take action:
- It can help to talk to people close to you; it is not uncommon to find out that other mothers have experienced the same thing. If you can't or don't want to talk about it with your partner, you can talk to other expectant mothers (as part of a birth preparation course) or the midwife. Your own mother may be the right person to talk to about these issues.
- There is nothing shameful or a sign of weakness in asking for help; this could be around the house or helping to look after older siblings, for example.
- You should try not to overestimate every emotional fluctuation, and it is also important to continue practicing your hobbies for as long as possible.
- Staying physically active and going for a walk in the fresh air contributes to your well-being.
- Depression is treatable! Even during pregnancy. Here it makes sense to seek professional help. The contact person is the midwife and/or the treating gynecologist. A support group may be useful.
- Take time for yourself with relaxing baths, meditation or yoga and mindfulness exercises
- A walk in the fresh air is good for you and gently stimulates your circulation.
- Make sure you get enough sleep and eat a healthy, balanced diet.
The sooner you recognize, diagnose and treat depression, the better the prognosis.
You also have to think about the baby here, because the pregnancy depression and fears expose the unborn child to stress hormones, which is what causes it more often premature births, in which the child is smaller and lighter and may also have to struggle with adjustment difficulties later in development has. In addition, depressed expectant mothers are more likely to have problems with gestational diabetes and hardly gain any weight.
So it's important to take action, there's no reason to be ashamed or to blame yourself. Depression and anxiety disorders are illnesses that no one can do anything about!